Welcome to Department of Chemistry
The Department of Chemistry has adequate infrastructure at the new science block. Approximately 350 students are offering chemistry from general degree programme and 24 students are following special degree programme in the year 2017. There are five permanent academic staff, six support staff, two Technical officers, three Laboratory attendants and a Labourer are working in the department at present. The Chemistry Department has three laboratories: organic chemistry laboratory, inorganic chemistry laboratory and physical chemistry laboratory and each laboratory has a working capacity of 35. The laboratories are used for seven hours per day for five days. In addition a preparation time of 2-3 hours is required for each practical session. Special degree and post degree students also use the laboratories simultaneously and during vacation. Practical demonstrations are also conducted for, G.C.E A/L students from various schools in Batticaloa and Kalmunai districts. The Department of Chemistry has close links with the National Science Foundation (NSF) and provides guidance to the research students selected by NSF from schools in national level. The Department of Chemistry is also the representative to conduct the Australian chemistry quiz in the Batticaloa district.
The educational objectives of the Department of Chemistry are as follows:
- Provide a fundamental understanding of chemistry.
- Provide prospective chemistry teachers with strong foundation in the application of chemistry principles that will enhance the quality of science teaching provided to schools in the region and state.
- Provide excellent researchers through special degree programme.
- Provide qualified graduates in gaining admission to and completing graduate programme in chemistry and related field.
- Provide qualified graduates for national benefits.
|Head/Department of Chemistry|
Dr. M. Sithambaresan