DR. SELLADURAI ARASARETNAM
Dr. Selladurai Arasaretnam
Research Fellow (IND), Ph.D (SL), M.Sc (USJP, Sri Lanka) B.Sc. (Hons.) (EUSL),
Senior Lecturer Grade-I,
Department of Chemistry, Faculty of Science, Eastern University Sri Lanka,
Chenkalady, Sri Lanka-30010.
Tel: (94) - 652240755 [office], (94) - 652251407[resident]
Fax: (94) - 652240758[office], Mobile: (94) - 771749293
Web site : http://www.fsc.esn.ac.lk/
Date of Birth : 03rd April, 1976
Sex : Male
Nationality : Sri Lankan Tamil
Civil Status : Married
Research Fellowship (2015): Indian Institute of Chemical Technology (CSIR-IICT), Hyderabad,
Ph.D. (2010): Polymer Chemistry, University of Sri Jayewardenepura, Sri Lanka.
M.Sc. (2006): Polymer Science & Technology, University of Sri Jayewardenepura, Sri Lanka.
B. Sc. [Special Degree] (2002): Chemistry, Eastern University Sri Lanka.
In Refereed Journals
Arasaretnam S and Venujah K. Preparation of Soaps by using Different Oil and Analyze their Properties, Arasaretnam and Venujah, Natural Products Chemistry & Research (Nat Prod Chem Res.) 2019, 7:1, DOI: 10.4172/2329-6836.1000357
S. Arasaretnam and JMPW. Jayasundara. Utilization of Pretreated Lignocelluloses Materials for the Production of Bio-Diesel, International Journal of Advanced Research in Chemical Science (IJARCS), 6 (2): 7-12, 2019, ISSN No. (Online) 2349-0403,
S Arasaretnam. Study of Rheology of Tannin Obtained from Flower Buds of Terminalia chebula (Aralu) and Formaldehyde Reaction, International Journal of Advanced Research in Chemical Science (IJARCS), 6 (1): 1-5, 2019, ISSN No. (Online) 2349-0403
S. Arasaretnam*, H.R.P. Prasadini and K. Venujah. Assessment of Open well Water Quality around Puttalam District, International Journal of Advances in Scientific Research and Engineering (IJASRE), E-ISSN : 2454-8006, , 4(12): 2018, DOI: 10.31695/IJASRE.2018.33024
S. Arasaretnam, S. Keerthanan, Hasitha Sulochani Wickramasinghe. Synthesis of Nitrate Doped Polypyrrole Conducting Polymer Membrane and Fabrication of Passive Sampler to Determine Diffusion of Nitrate and Chloride Through Membrane in Aquatic Ecosystem, International Journal of Advances in Scientific Research and Engineering(IJASRE), 4(12):150-156, 2018, 10.31695/IJASRE.2018.33004
S. Arasaretnam*, S. Keerthanan. Plant Seeds as Biosorbents for the Purification of Water, Journal of Modern Chemistry & Chemical Technology, ISSN: 2229-6999 (Online), ISSN: 2321-5208 (Print), 2018, 9 (2):1-10.
S. Arasaretnam. Synthesis, Characterization and Membrane Properties of modified polyphenols based resin, International Journal of Research Publications(IJRP), 3(1), 2018, DOI: 100315201897.
S. Arasaretnam. Prediction of UV-Vis spectra of flavan-3-ol type molecules: A Computational approach, International Journal of Research Publications(IJRP), 3(1), 2018, DOI: 100315201894.
S. Arasaretnam, A. Kiruthika and T. Mahendran (2018). Nutritional and mineral composition of selected green leafy vegetables. Ceylon Journal of Science, 47(1), 35–41, 2018, DOI: http://doi.org/10.4038/cjs.v47i1.7484
S. Arasaretnam and K. Venujah. Modification of tannin extracted from the bark of Acacia auriculiformis for the antibacterial activity and application of metal adsorption, Ruhuna Journal of Science, 8: 90-102, 2017, DOI: http://doi.org/10.4038/rjs.v8i2.30
S. Arasaretnam. A kinetic study on adsorption, Isotherms of some metal ions on sulfonated-Tannin phenol Formaldehyde resin (TPF-SO3H), International Journal of Environmental Chemistry & Chromatography, 1(1), 1 – 7, 2015.
S. Arasaretnam, L.Karunanayake. Computational and FTIR-spectroscopic study on the reactivity of some polyphenol compounds with HCHO, Research & Reviews in Polymer. ISSN: 2249 – 8877, Volume 3, Issue 1, RRPL, 3(1), [9-16] 2012.
S. Arasaretnam and L. Karunanayake. Synthesis, Characterization, and Metal Adsorption Properties of Tannin–Phenol–Formaldehyde Resins Produced Using Tannin from Dried Fruit of Terminalia chebula (Aralu), Journal of Applied Polymer Science, U.S.A, 2009 Wiley Periodicals, Inc. Vol. 115, 1081–1088, 2010.
- S. Arasaretnam and JMPW. Jayasundara. Production of Bio-ethanol using pretreated Lignocellulosic materials (Rice husk, Water Hyacinth), International Research Symposium on Pure and Applied Sciences, Faculty of Science, University of Kelaniya, Sri Lanka, 2017.
- N. N. Malleswara Rao, S. Arasaretnam, B. Balaraju and A. V. Sesha Sainath. Glucose based macromolecular architectures syntheses, characterization and their cell-binding studies, International Conference on Advancement in Polymeric Materials, Proceedings (APM-2016), Department of Chemicals and Petrochemicals, Ministry of Chemicals and Fertilizers, Govt. of India, Ahmadabad, India, Feb 12-14, [192-193], 2016.
- S. Arasaretnam, N. N. Malleswara Rao, Annadanam V. Sesha Sainath. Pinus radiata Bark Extracted Polyphenols Modification for Processable Thermoplastics, International Conference on Science and Engineering of Materials for Future Needs-2015, [ICSEMF -2015], 21-22 December 2015, Khammam, India.
- V. Sesha Sainath, B. Balaraju, N. N. Malleswara Rao, V. Santosh, J. Gopinath, S.Arasaretnam. Selective Functional Group Incorporation into Macromolecular Architecture and Their Role in Applications, International Conference on Science and Engineering of Materials for Future Needs -2015, [ICSEMF -2015], 21-22 December 2015, Khammam, India
- S. Arasaretnam, S. Thevakumar, Hardness in drinking well water in various regions of Sri Lanka, proceedings of the Peradeniya University International Research Sessions, Sri Lanka, Vol.19, 5th and 6th November 2015.
- S. Arasaretnam, S. Thevakumar. Determination of iron content in selected edible vegetables by using simple colorimetric method in two locations of Batticalao District. Proceedings of the 2nd International conference on multidisciplinary approaches-2015 (iCMA 2015), University of Sri Jayewardenepura, 239, 11-12 September 2015.
- S. Arasaretnam, S. Sathees and S. Malavipathirana. Characterization of paper Mill effluent and investigation of the synergistic impact at Valaichchenai due to other anthropogenic inputs, Symposium Proceedings, Third International Symposium on Water Quality and Human Health: Challenges Ahead, 27 & 28 June, PGIS, Peradeniya, Sri Lanka, , 2014.
- S. Arasaretnam, S. Saranya and S. Premkumar. A Comparison of Accumulation of Heavy metals (Pb, Cd, Hg and Cr) in soil and selected vegetables from Kaluthavalai farms in Batticaloa District, International Conference of Agricultural Sciences-2014, Sabaragamuwa University of Sri Lanka, , 2014.
- S. Arasaretnam. A preliminary study on cadmium levels in selected imported sugars obtained in the Batticaloa Town, Second Annual Science Research Sessions-2013 , South Eastern University, Sri Lanka,  2013.
- S. Arasaretnam, S. Thevakumar. A preliminary investigation on some selected drinking water quality parameters at three locations around Batticaloa, Second Annual Science Research Sessions-2013 , South Eastern University of Sri Lanka,  2013.
- S.Arasaretnam, L.Karunanayake. Studies on the kinetics of epoxidation of soybean oil using synthetic cationic exchange resin, International Symposium on Polymer Science & Technology, University of Sri Jayewardenepura, ISSN: 2279-2317,  2012.
- S.Arasaretnam, and L Karunanayake. Synthesis, characterization and metal adsorption of Tannin Phenol Formaldehyde resin obtained from flower buds of Terminalia chebula. SLAAS, 64th Annual Sessions, part-I, Abstract, 169, 2008.
- S Arasaretnam, L Karunanayaka, P Manoharan. Formaldehyde based resins prepared using tannin obtained from bark of Terminalia arjuna (Roxb.). SLAAS. 2006.
- Arasaretnam S, Sathananthan T, and Chandralal H.N.K.K. Study of heat sensitive gelation of natural rubber latex using Poly Vinyl Methyl Ether (PVME), 4th Annual Research Session (ARS), EUSL,22, 2005.
As Conference proceeding-full paper
- S. Arasaretnam and R. Joy Ebenezer. Modification and Cation adsorption studies of Polyphenols extracted from Acacia farnesiana, 5th International Conference on Chemistry, Chemical Engineering and Chemical Process (CCECP 2017), Conference Proceedings, Singapore, 6-7 March 2017, pg. 7-12, DOI: 10.5176/2301-3761_CCECP17.11.
- S. Arasaretnam. Development of a protocol for extraction of tannin from some selected Terminalia sp in various solvents. 10th Annual Research Session (ARS), EUSL, 240-245, 1-2 December, 2011.
- Arasaretnam, S and Vinobaba, P. Nutritional Composition of Segregated Portions of Oreochromis niloticus from Unnichai Tank in Batticaloa Distract. Proceedings of the 6th Annual Research Session (ARS), EUSL, 140-149, 2007.
- Arasaretnam, S and Mahendran, T. Antifungal compounds from leaf buds from bark of Gardenia latifolia” Annual Research Session (ARS), EUSL, 140-146, 2004.
- Extracted Polyphenols Modification for Processable Thermoplastics
- Selective Functional Group Incorporation into Macromolecular Architecture and Their Role in Applications
- Synthesis, Characterization and Metal adsorption of Formaldehyde based resin obtained from tannin available plant sources.
- Computational Chemistry and Spectroscopy approach to study the reactions of some polyphenolic compounds with formaldehyde.Polymer Chemistry.
- Water quality Analysis
• Conduct lectures and practical sessions for undergraduate and post-graduate students in polymer, organic, inorganic and science education.
CH 101 Periodicity and Bonding B. SC ( Internal and External)
CH 151 Inorganic Analysis: Quantitative and Qualitative Analysis B. SC ( Internal and External)
CH 105 Introduction to Polymer Chemistry B. SC ( Internal and External)
CH 201 Co-ordination Chemistry and Group Chemistry B. SC ( Internal and External)
CH 204 Reaction Mechanism and Aromaticity B. SC ( Internal and External)
CH 205 Boron Chemistry and Silicates B. SC ( Internal and External)
CH 301 Chemistry of Natural Products B. SC ( Internal and External)
CH 354 Inorganic Chemistry B. SC ( Internal and External)
CHS 01 Inorganic Chemistry I B. SC ( Special Degree)
CHS 51 Inorganic Chemistry (practical) B. SC ( Special Degree)
CHS 16 Polymer Chemistry B. SC ( Special Degree)
CHS 51 Inorganic Chemistry (practical) B. SC ( Special Degree)
CHS 18 Research Project and Seminar B. SC ( Special Degree)
• Supervise graduate and undergraduate students’ research.
• Conduct training programs for teachers and trainers in promoting Inorganic chemistry.
Research Training Fellowship for Development Country Scientists (RTF-DCS) (2015).
Indian Institute of Chemical Technology (CSIR-IICT), Hyderabad, India.
Presidential Award for Scientific Publications 2015.
Merit Award for Scientific Publication (2015). National Research Council (NRC), Sri Lanka.
Research Scholarships (2007). National Science Foundation of Sri Lanka (NSF) for PhD Studies.
Editor In Chief for Journal of Science, Eastern University Sri Lanka, https://jsc.sljol.info/
Resource person and Proposal evaluator for Department/Unit-level ELTA-ELSE DPs under Accelerating Higher Education Expansion and Development (AHEAD) Operation to Universities and Higher Education Institutions, Ministry of Higher Education and Highways, University Grants Commission.
Appointed as Director/Staff Development Centre (SDC) from November 2018 to November 2019.
Nominee for faculty level Gender Equity & Equality Cell (GGE)-2016
Examiner for Post of Trainee Technical Officer-2016, Eastern University, Sri Lanka
Head, Department of Chemistry, Faculty of Science, Eastern University of Sri Lanka (2011 to 2014).
Editorial Member of Journal of Science-2016
Editor, Journal of Science-2015
Member, Senate, Eastern University of Sri Lanka (2010-2014).
Chairperson of Board of study/Faculty of Science for External Degree programme .
Member, Board of study/Faculty of Science for External Degree programme-2011-2014.
Member, sports advisory board, Eastern University of Sri Lanka (2014)
Student counselor, Faculty of Science, Eastern University of Sri Lanka, (2010- present)
Elected member to the campus board of the Trincomalee Campus, Eastern University of Sri Lanka, (2013)
Technical coordinator, Environmental Testing Unit (ETU), Eastern University of Sri Lanka (2009 to present)
External Examiner for undergraduate Research forum of Faculty of Agriculture, Eastern University Sri Lanka
Resource person, G.C.E (A/L) Chemistry Teachers- Eastern Province (2015)
Coordinator, 10th Annual Research Session (ARS), Eastern University of Sri Lanka, (2011)
Co-Supervisor, Australian National Chemistry Quiz contest (2012- present)
Member, Higher degree Committee, Faculty of science, Eastern University of Sri Lanka (2014-2015).
Member, Convocation committee, Eastern University of Sri Lanka (2014)
Member, International conference, Eastern University of Sri Lanka, (ICE -2013).
Chairman/Member, Technical Evaluation Committee, Operational Technical Secretariat (OTS), HETC project (2013-present).
Resource person for workshop on Environmental quality analysis conducted at Eastern University, Sri Lanka (2010)
Judge for Science Laboratory competition in school level-2009